Thursday, December 23, 2010

Calling all Workaholics! Fifteen Things You Can Do When You Are Not Working

Time To Read
I admit it: I have been called a workaholic on more than one occasion. I do make time for myself and my family, but it is hard for me to have “down time,” where I sit around and watch television or relax on the couch and stare into space. First of all, I don’t watch television, and secondly, I find staring into space boring after about … 30 seconds.

As a working mother of three children, I don’t have a whole lot of free time. But, there are moments when my husband takes the kids for the day, or when the children are off at a friend’s house, and I actually do have time to myself. It is hard for me not to use that precious time to write or do laundry. But, I find having a list of things to do other than working is helpful as a reminder of all of the things one could do in those rare moments of free time.

I suspect I am not the only person out there who has trouble relaxing and not working or doing housework. In this post, I provide a list of activities you can do when you are not working….

Fifteen things you can do when you are not working…
  1. Read a novel
  2. Talk on the phone with friends
  3. Go for a walk outside
  4. Attend an event at university concert hall or museum
  5. Watch a movie or TV show at home
  6. Soak in the bathtub
  7. Take a dance class
  8. Invite people over for drinks or dinner
  9. Go to the movies, a restaurant, or a wine tasting with friends
  10. Go to the gym or exercise class alone or with a buddy
  11. Engage in creative activity: writing, art, crafts
  12. Do yoga or meditate
  13. Tend to the garden
  14. Cook a new recipe
  15. Listen to the radio or a podcast
If you rarely or never do these sorts of activities, you might just be a workaholic. Remember, rest and relaxation important for the mind, body and soul. Give yourself permission to do something you enjoy. You deserve a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment